There are many products out there that promise to fight hair loss, but only a few of them deliver the results. Propecia is among those products. Here we’ll take a look at the pros and cons of using Propecia for hair loss.
People opt to use Propecia for hair loss for two reasons:
- It works. Propecia is a form of finasteride, a medication used to treat an enlarged prostate. When it was first administered, the men who were taking it reported sudden hair growth. This led the manufacturers to develop Propecia. It achieves its effect by inhibiting DHT, a testosterone-based hormone that causes hair loss. It can reduce DHT levels by up to 60 percent and thus stop hair loss. What’s more, almost two-thirds of men who use it have also experienced some degree of new hair growth.
- It’s easy to use. Using Propecia for hair loss is a safe alternative to other, more invasive methods. It’s very simple – all you have to do is take one pill per day until you notice the results.
Before you start using Propecia, you should also consider the following:
- It masks the symptoms of prostate cancer. Finasteride and Propecia may lower your levels of prostate-specific antigens (PSA). As such, they can mask some symptoms of prostate cancer during the standard screening. It is thus important to let your doctor know if you’re taking Propecia ahead of the screening.
- It may have unwanted side effects. The side effects of Propecia may include erectile dysfunction as well as low libido. But these are very rare and occur in less than 2 percent of men who use it.
- It’s expensive. The price of Propecia varies from pharmacy to pharmacy. As a rule, you’ll have to spend almost $1,000 for a one-year supply.
If you want to try using Propecia for hair loss, you should consult with your doctor first. They’ll warn you about the possible side effects and explain what results you can expect to see.